Red Tennis Shoes on FIRE!
Imagine the horror on my face, as I rounded the corner into the kitchen to see my favorite red tennis shoes in flames! I really wanted to wear them that day, but they were still a bit wet from the wash, so I placed them, not close, not near, but next to our little space heater! I figured they would just need a few minutes to be ready to wear out the door. A fire can happen soooo quickly!
A year ago, I received the news that a house I had sold to a wonderful family almost burned to the ground! Just recently I attended a housewarming party for that rebuilt home. My client (and now good friend) Cathy, has gone through a tremendous amount of time and money in getting this home rebuilt. She said it took endless hours of trying to recount the items that were destroyed by the flames. When I asked her what she learned through this devastating process, she made the following suggestions:
- Make sure each level of your home has 2 ways out for emergencies.
- Check smoke detectors regularly to ensure they are functional.
- Keep a good inventory of your possessions.
- Know what your insurance covers.
- Buy a fire safe, for important documents.
- Treasure those around you.
- Thank God each day, no matter what comes your way.
As I sat looking at my favorite red tennies, now burnt to a crisp and in a huge puddle of water, I was so thankful that I had those shoes in three other colors and that my kitchen did not go up in flames! If you have not done so already, get out your camera or video recorder. Record every item in your home, open up the closets and drawers, get it all on film. It will save you tons of time and hassles you can’t even imagine! And above all, protect yourself and those you love!
Sondra McFeters, Brokerage Owner
EXIT Realty, Your Next Move